Without volunteers, the YMCA of Greater Williamson County would not be able to meet the needs of the kids, families and adults who live throughout Williamson County.
Am I qualified to volunteer with the Y?
The YMCA of Greater Williamson County offers a range of opportunities that require different skills. We’ll help you find an opportunity that fits your skills and interests and, if needed, we’ll provide training.
How old must I be to volunteer?
YMCA of Greater Williamson County volunteers who will be working directly with children should be at least 16 years of age or older.
How do I go about finding a volunteer position?
To find out if there is a volunteer position that suits you at the YMCA of Greater Williamson County, follow the steps below:
- Contact your local YMCA of Greater Williamson County branch location (Burnet: 512-756-6180 / Cedar Park: (512) 250-9622 / Hutto: (512) 846-2360 / Round Rock: (512) 246-9622 and ask about volunteer opportunities.
- Talk with the supervisor in charge of the volunteer opportunity that interests you either over the phone or in person.
- Fill out the YMCA of Greater Williamson County volunteer application, which can be downloaded to the right or picked up at your local branch location.
- Submit the completed application to the supervisor you spoke with, who will in turn submit it to the association’s Human Resources Department.
- Ask the Member Services Desk of the supervisor to make a copy of your driver’s license or other form of identification.
- After your application is reviewed and your background check is completed, the supervisor will contact you to tell you as to whether you have or have not been approved to volunteer with the association.
Do I have to meet any criteria before I can become a volunteer?
The YMCA of Greater Williamson County is responsible for protecting the children and other people we serve. For this reason, we require that all of our volunteer candidates fill out our volunteer application, provide a copy of his/her driver’s license or another type of photo identification, and undergo a thorough background check. Other than that, you don’t need any particular skills or background to help the people in our community! Just let us know what you’re interested in, and we’ll try to match you to a volunteer opportunity.
Will volunteering take a lot of my time?
You can choose how much time you would like to give as a Y volunteer. Whether you want to help occasionally or on an ongoing basis, we’ll work together to find a role that meets your availability and schedule.
Does the Y offer community service volunteer opportunities?
No. Unfortunately, the YMCA of Greater Williamson County does not offer any volunteer opportunities for those persons needing to complete community service hours as part of a program requirement or sentence.
Do I have to be a Y member to volunteer?
No, you do not need to be a Y member to volunteer in a Y facility.
When may I start?
The YMCA of Greater Williamson County’s volunteer application must be filled out and a thorough background check completed before any individual may become a volunteer for the association. Applicants cannot be scheduled to volunteer prior to the supervisor receiving approval from the Human Resources Department. Once an application has been approved, you will be provided with a start date by the supervisor for your volunteer position.
What if I need to break my commitment to the Y or I don’t like my volunteer role?
If you need to break your commitment to the Y, please let your supervisor know as soon as possible. If you are not enjoying what you are currently doing, please talk with your supervisor about other volunteer opportunities. The YMCA of Greater Williamson County has many different volunteer roles.