Move your body to the beat with the Y’s Dance Lessons!
Introduce the joy of movement and dance with an introductory class that helps develop flexibility, coordination, balance, and grace using techniques from ballet, creative movement, gymnastics, and playful educational games. Cha-cha your way to fun and community in the Y’s Dance Classes!
- Creative Movement (Ages 2-4 years): Children that love rhythm and movement and feel safe participating in a class. Students will use ribbons, scarves, bean bags, and more as they combine imagination with music to learn body control, develop fine motor skills, and improve social skills.
- Intro to Ballet (Ages 3-5 years): This class will introduce children to basic ballet vocabulary and technique in a structured yet fun setting. Simple coordination, musicality, rhythm, and concentration will be emphasized.
- Intro to Ballet/Jazz (Ages 3- 5 years): This class introduces the student to beginning ballet bar and center work, as well as jazz steps. We will also explore modern dance and floor work set to popular young children’s music.
- Intro to Hip Hop (Ages 4-6 years): This hip hop class an introduction to a energetic dance style using the latest street/urban dance moves set to hip hop music. This class for young beginners specifically focuses on developing rhythm and coordination while encouraging individual style.
- Lyrical Contemporary (Ages 5+ years) : Space and social awareness is awakened through this encouraging style of lyrical movement to inspirational faith-based music.
- Beginner Tap (Ages 5-7 years): Fun introductory class/some-experience where dancers will enjoy learning basic tap skills and fun, rhythmic choreography.
- Ballet/Jazz (6+ years): Age appropriate ballet technique with bar and center work. Jazz isolation and steps, modern dance floor work and movement.
- Hip Hop (6+ years): This fun and high-energy class is geared towards those interested in learning the basic movements and infuse the latest styles of Hip Hop.
- Elite Hip Hop (Ages 8+ years): This fun and high-energy class is geared towards those interested in improving and continuing to learn the latest styles of Hip Hop. This Elite class is Hip Hop taken to the next level. Previous Hip Hop experience preferred.
- Drill Team (8+ years): This year-round performance team incorporates studio-style jazz, ballet, pom, contemporary, and hip hop. Terminology and dance skills are taught leading up to more challenging and upbeat choreography.
- Jazz/Funk (Teen/Adult): For teens and adults, Jazz/Funk will be blending edgier “street” and musical theatre dance styles. Students will be taken through a series of stretches, across-the-floor sequences, and original choreography. The objective of Jazz/Funk is to dance, have fun, and build confidence.
- Adult Couples Dance Class: Let’s move! Join us for our 6-week Adult Couples Dance Class at Twin Lakes Family YMCA. This class takes place on Friday’s from 5:30pm-6:30pm. Start your date night off at the Y! *Child care is available at the Y during class time.
Enjoy more activities with our sports programs to meet your fitness goals and have fun while doing so!