As the summer starts to draw closer, so does our favorite season, summer camp season! There’s no better place to make new friends, try new things, and make memories that will last a lifetime. With registration for Y Summer Camps already open, it’s time to start preparing to make sure you’ll have everything your camper needs when it’s time to go.
Summer Camp Clothes
When packing for Summer Camp, you want to pack as light as possible and only bring the necessities. One of your top priorities should be the clothes your camper needs. It’s important to plan their wardrobe for the camp that they’ll be going to. If the camp is a week-long, they’ll want to pack enough clean clothes for the week. If it’s a ballet camp, they don’t want to forget their ballet flats. When packing, take some time to consider your Summer Camp and what they may need or require. Some of the common items include:
- Clean Clothes – You’ll want to have enough for every day at camp. Consider the weather and activities, and plan clothing options around that.
- Footwear – Ensure that their shoes match the activities they’ll be doing and are properly broken in before leaving for camp. If there will be a lot of hiking, tennis shoes or boots will be essential. If campers will be swimming, some flip-flops or sandals will be great for the trip to the pool or lake.
- Hats – Chances are they’ll be outside a lot at Summer Camp. Bringing along a hat can help protect campers from the sun.
- Swimsuit – If campers are spending time at the pool or a lake, a swimsuit will be essential for fun in the sun.
- Pajamas – When it’s time to wind down for the night, a cozy pair of pajamas will make all the difference in getting a good night’s sleep.
- Socks and Underwear – Make sure enough are packed to make it through the time at camp, and a few extras, just in case.
Depending on the Summer Camp, your camper may need to bring their own bedding. To help them get a good night’s rest, they may want to bring:
- Mattress Pad
- Pillow and Pillowcase
- Sleeping Bag
If your camper will be at Summer Camp for a few days, they’ll probably need some toiletries to maintain their hygiene.
- Shower Caddy – This will make carrying supplies to and from the bathroom area a breeze and help your camper keep track of their things a little easier.
- Brush / Comb
- Towel – If campers will be swimming, bringing an extra towel can help to ensure that they will always have a dry towel when they need one.
- Feminine Products
Beyond the necessities, there are some other items that will be good for your camper to take with them to Summer Camp:
- Flashlight – If staying overnight, you’ll want to make sure that your camper can find their way around if they need to. Don’t forget to replace the batteries too!
- Reusable Water Bottler / Canteen
- Bug Spray
Whether they’ll be at Summer Camp for a day or a week, you’ll want to make sure that your camper has everything they might need to have a good time. Check-in with their camp organizer to see if they have a list of recommended items or anything they can’t bring. At the Y, we offer a variety of Summer Camps to meet your camper’s interests, and registration for Summer 2021 is already open! Find the right summer program for your camper and register today!